Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I'm going raw for 100 days!

I was nervous to post about my going raw for 100 days, because, well, there will be those of you who don't agree. But then there are others who may be interested. So, I will take the good with the bad. As many of you know, our family follows Dr. Furhman's Diet called Eat to Live and Disease Proof your Child. I try to feed my family as healthy as I can. However, after Mary Kate was born, less nutrient dense foods started slipping into our diet. And I have struggled with those less nutritious foods calling me from afar. To help get me back into desiring more healthful foods, I have decided to challenge myself to 100 days of a vegan raw foods diet.

I know one of the first questions that people will ask will be, "The whole family? Kids too?" And my answer is no. Just myself. That doesn't mean, if I plan on having a salad that Christopher and the children won't be eating it too. It just means that I only will be raw only for 100 days. I am excited to see if I can do it. And excited to find new recipes along the way.

If you have read this far, you may be asking yourself. What does she mean by raw foods diet? Well, what I mean is... I will be eating raw foods unprocessed and uncooked plant foods, like... fresh fruits and vegetables, sprouts, seeds, nuts, and even beans and grains which have been sprouted. Also, things can be dehydrated, as long as, it has been dehydrated under 116 degrees F. But no cooked veggies and fruits. I can use my Vitamix, food processor and dehydrator to help with giving my foods different textures.

I am excited and will most likely be posting a few blogs about it along the way! Tonight will be my last night of cooked veggies, as tomorrow marks my 1st day on my 100 days of raw foods!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kara,
I've commented on your blog a few times in the past. I wanted to encourage you in your 100 days of raw food. We've come a long way with diet and your blog was very instrumental in doing so. In addition to that, a family member of ours has been battling cancer. She made radical dietary changes and I truly believe it has made a huge difference in her battle (that's a whole other story in itself:) All of this is because I found out about Eat to Live from your blog! The ripple effect continues and many great things have happened because you shared. So, thank you very much and you go girl! You can do it! I'll be praying for you.
Kim :)