Thursday, September 23, 2010

ER

I want to start by saying I wrote my first blog post after an extremely exhausting day. This is my new blog post. What my first post failed to mention was Chris and I are skeptical concerning the medical profession. We are not saying we hate nurses and doctors, we have a lot of friends and family who work in medical profession and we think they are wonderful people. And in a true emergency, we would LOVE for them to be available to help. But, we try to stay away from any modern medicine as much as we can. We only took Mary in the first place to silence others in their concern for our baby. I have not studied medicine, but I have raised six other children and know what things to keep an eye out for concerning sickness. Mary had no temp, was happy as can be, was eating well, and other than this simply horrible cough, was fine. Since we still don't have a doctor down here in SC, I googled searched Pediatric Urgent Care (which our nurse friend, Christi, had advised me to do in the past) the search brought up the facility 'Doctors Care' as the following: "Open evenings and weekends for family care, urgent care and pediatrics." Seeing the word, "Pediatrics" I thought, great this is a place that will be able to care for my baby. Also, in my experience, knowing Mary's symptoms, and the length of time she has had her cough, I figured, she will need a chest x-ray. 'Doctors Care' boast that they prove x-rays on site. I thought great, I will be able to have everything taken care of at one place. However, when being seen, the staff, as well as, the equipment was NOT prepared for attending to my 6 month old needs. In fact, the doctor told me, "We really don't have the means here to test your baby." The staff fumbled around with the equipment, trying to get it to work for my 6 month old, when it was obviously not made for a baby so young. The doctor said her ears looked clear, her temp was fine, she sounded a little congested, but then there was "the cough", and it sounded like whopping cough. They took her blood for a simple blood test (they poked and poked my baby, and the nurse said, "sorry baby, this is the smallest needle we have here") and then they asked me to wait around, as the x-ray tech doesn't get there until noon. After waiting, the doctor came back saying. Well... I guess the tech isn't coming in today. You'll have to go somewhere else to get your x-ray done. Then the doctor said, before you go, we need to get an oxygen saturation level. When checking Mary's air intake, the nurse flipped out putting her on oxygen. The doctor came running back in saying her blood work was bad and he would like her taken by ambulance to the ER. I said, "No I'll drive her, just give me the address". He was like... what? I said, "Her condition has not changed since I drove her here". She has a "cough", I'll drive her. He ran out of the room, (I think to cancel the ambulance, shocked that I said no.) The staff lost my confidence in them early in the visit, when their office was noticeably not pediatric and then no x-ray tech. Chris and I believe that we have the final say over our children's health. We know and love our children, we want to do what is best for them. We home school, because we don't want the government in control of our children and what they decide should be put into their minds. Despite how doctor's make us feel, we are in charge of our children's health, including what goes into their bodies. God has put us, Chris and Kara Reeder, in charge of baby Mary, and despite what people in the health industry think, we have the final say in what we feel is best. Mary has been with me since birth, the doctor had only met her an hour before.

I remained calm, knowing how many other times health professionals have given me scares over, what was not as bad as they said. I drove home, got myself some "Raw" lunch, knowing that if I was going to the ER, I'd be there a while. Remember I'm a full-time nursing mama. Mary only eats because I eat. Plus, I had six other children who needed lunch as well. Chris drove Mary and I to the ER, as we ate on the way.

We where at the hospital forever! They monitored Mary's oxygen saturation levels, which were fine. Her levels went lower when she had her coughing fits, but never low enough to require oxygen. Mary got a chest x-ray, which was clear. No pneumonia or fluid build up. Then she was swabbed, three times down her nose. They kept saying... huh, she sounds horrible, but no temp, ears are fine, lungs are fine, her oxygen was normal, and the only thing left was that the doctor thought it may be whooping cough. They did the test and sent us on our way home, because there was nothing else they could do for her. They will be calling us with the results today. The only thing they didn't mention was prayer, but we know better (by the grace of God).


No comments: