Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Pressure Canner



Here is a photo of my new toy. A pressure canner. I was looking to buy a regular canner, but in doing research, I realized that a pressure canner was a better deal. I will be able to can even more things with it.
It all started by me wanting to can oranges. Yes, I said Oranges! Ever eat those small mandarin oranges? Well, my kids used to love them. Oranges have been SUPER cheap and I started thinking about how to preserve them, so I could have some delicious inexpensive oranges come summer, when they are expensive and taste bad. I found out if I do a little work now, I will have some sweet blessings come summer.
Plus, I love the fact that I will control exactly what will go into them. Tonight we canned 14 quarts of oranges, packed in orange juice, no sugar for the Reederbunch. The children were a huge blessing, as they rolled and peeled oranges, lots and lots of oranges. I think I only peeled 4, as the children kept me busy filling up the jars. More photos to come.

*Updated... here is a photo of our finished product. We canned 14 quarts of oranges and 7 quarts of pinto beans. Beans of course store perfectly fine dry, but sometimes I don't have time to cook them, this way, I will have some beans ready which could be eaten right out of the jar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kara,
What exactly went into your canned oranges? Do you mean the actual fruit juice or did you add orange juice from a bottle? How did you prep the beans? I buy canned beans when I don't have time to cook them, but this would be so much cheaper!
Kim :)

Reeder said...

I use the website... http://www.pickyourown.org/


I used bottle orange juice, the website will tell you all about the oranges and beans.