Thursday, May 17, 2012

We're Back...


Our family loves the nutritarian lifestyle.  What is nutritarian?  It means feeding your family the most nutrient dense foods.  A year ago, my husband was laid off from his job.  After a year off, working on our house, and looking for a new job, he is finally back to work.  While he was off, our budget was tight.  And I learned exactly how hard it was to feed your family the tons and tons of fruits and vegetables that I had once fed them.  We ate A LOT of barley, rice, and beans.  Regrettably, my husband's health declined and I began to gain weight.  The stress in our lives didn't help.

A year later, we are pleased to announce that with the help of the Lord, my husband now has a job again!!!  And yesterday, I went to Whole Foods for the first time, in a long time!!!  What a treat!  Some of the things we bought were ingredients for some of my favorite nutritarian recipes.  Things we haven't been able to eat in over a year!  What a blessings!

One of the things that we love are salads.  Lots and lots of salads!!!  One of my favorite dressings is a homemade healthy cream dressing.

Mock Caesar Dressing

1/4 c Sunflower seeds
2 tbs Tahini
3 Tbsp Lemon juice
1 med clove garlic (I use a lot more!)
1/2 tsp sea salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2-1 tsp raw agave nectar or 4 drops of stevia extact
1/4 c water (or more to thin as desired)

Combine all ingredients in the blender.  
Taste test and add as necessary.
  
You can tell it's not caesar, but it's really pretty good.  And it's way better than just plain lettuce or crazy full of bad fat regular dressings.  No preservatives, but best of all, my kids LOVE it!  It's a great way to get greens, healthy fats, and garlic into my children's diets.  We also toss raw pumpkin seeds on top to make it even more nutrient dense.  You can even toss some nutritional yeast on top as mock parm.


It feels so good to be back to my old ways.  And able to feed my family as healthy as possible.

3 comments:

Marci said...

Wow! I want to know more about this... this is exactly what I need! Do you have resources or cook books to share??? please message me if you perfer: durangomillers@yahoo.com

Kristi said...

Great to see that you're back on board with the nutritarian diet. What a gift to yourselves and your children. I remember you from the Fuhrman member center. Glad to see that your family is thriving.

Jess said...

The Jacobsons are rejoicing with you! Soli Deo Gloria